Process automation is an undertaking that can be conduct across an entire organization or within particular business units and departments. Automating processes has been predominantly used to eliminate repetitive tasks.
As businesses grow and scale, automation has become an essential part of any business growth strategy. In this article, we take a look at process automation in all it's common forms and applications - in addition to how you choose the ideal managed service provider to implement this on an ongoing basis.
What Is the Definition of IT Process Automation?
IT process automation, entails integrating "IT services, support, and administration into processes." The overall goal is to dramatically minimize, if not completely eliminate, the cost and time spent on manual operations.
The Various Forms of Process Automation
IT automation comes in a variety of shapes and sizes. The most frequent ones used for managed IT services are listed below:
- Professional service automation (PSA) is primarily used to automate operational and administrative duties like billing.
- Sales Automation automates time-consuming sales processes including sending emails, making phone calls, creating contracts, negotiating transactions, setting up follow-ups, and sending reminders.
- RMM (remote monitoring and management automation) is a type of IT automation that focuses on important IT operations such as performance and diagnostic checks.
- Robotic process automation (RPA) is a type of automation that works on top of existing infrastructure, is simple to set up, and is mostly pre-built.
- Business process automation (BPA) automates business processes and transactions, particularly those with several phases.
IT Process Automation Benefits
Here are a some of the benefits of using IT process automation:
- Significant cost savings: Manual jobs are more expensive since they are completed at a slower pace. Automation saves money through lowering expenses and boosting company metrics.
- Reduces the amount of time it takes to complete tasks: Automate time-consuming sales chores and routine duties that require continuous reminders.
- Increased efficiency: Automation realigns processes, simplifying them for improved performance while reducing extraneous operations.
- Personnel and resources are freed up: Because automation uses less resources, they may be put to better use elsewhere. As a result, your staff will be able to focus on higher-paying strategic and detail-oriented jobs.
- Improved consistency and quality: Process automation guarantees that all jobs and activities are completed in the same way. This increases dependability and quality assurance while maintaining a consistent level of service.
- Reduces the chance of making a mistake: Humans are prone to making mistakes. In comparison, software-driven automation is more dependable.
- Reduced turnaround time: Automation leads in greater operational optimization by optimizing your company processes. As a result, compliance increases, and downtime and turnaround time are reduced.
Identifying Whether or Not a Task Is Suitable for Process Automation
Process automation is not appropriate for all IT jobs.
These are the rules to follow when deciding whether or not a process may be automated:
- There should be a rule-based approach in place.
- It should be set up using a predetermined trigger.
- The technique should be repeated at regular intervals.
- There should be inputs and outputs that are well specified.
- There should be enough volume in the process.
After identifying the tasks that can be automated, the following step is to build a workflow for the functions that fall under those tasks. Learn how our DevOps and Cloud Infrastructure management division Marsa can help your business automate.
Choosing the Right MSP Partner
As your business grows and scales, automation will become an essential factor that drives your ongoing success in providing an uninterrupted experience to all your users and customers. Choosing the ideal managed service provider (MSP) will be a strategic decision that has massive implications on your future growth.
The ideal MSP will help you:
- Increase efficiency
- Gain access to knowledge, skills, and expertise conveniently
- Improve service and business continuity
- Reduce technology-related risk
- Enhance IT security infrastructure
- Improve regulatory compliance
- Enhance adaptability to technological innovations
Is your software delivery continuously disrupted by changes? Learn how Managed Software Teams can help you adapt to changes easily.
Choosing the ideal managed services provider doesn't have to be difficult. To ensure you make the best possible choice; consider the following critical factors:
- Industry experience - it's always preferable to choose a MSP that actually has experience in your industry.
- References - ask previous clients about their experience with your candidate MSP.
- Track record - ask the MSP under consideration to share previous success stories and case studies.
- Transparency - ensure that the MSP you are considering is clear about scope, billing structure, SLAs, and insurance if necessary.
- Coordination - ask about the tools used to ensure seamless and open communication regarding all tiers of escalation.
- Scope - do not work with an MSP that doesn't cover all your needs. Be clear about scope in the contract.
- Flexibility - it's a fast moving and changing market. Do not be trapped in a partnership that doesn't allow for flexible adaption to changes.
- Availability - how available are the team dedicated to your project?
- Ability to innovate - are the MSP team certified and have displayed proof of their ability to upgrade and enhance infrastructures?
Sitech has been offering DevOps-as-a-Service and Cloud Infrastructure managed services for the past decade to enterprises across various industries. Recently, we have invested in creating an independent division that we call Marsa by Sitech. If you are looking to migrate to the cloud or need DevOps related solutions; we can explore your requirements further.
All you have to do is contact us here for a free consultation.