Cloud migration decisions may be linked to higher-level business goals.
Migrating huge amounts of workload from an on-premises data center to the public cloud necessitates meticulous planning, and many IT directors are unsure where to begin:
- What is the best approach to cloud migration?
- Which teams need to be involved in cloud migration?
The following best practices can help your business understand the critical phases, resources, and people needed to plan and execute an efficient cloud migration strategy:
1. What Is the Best Approach to Cloud Migration?
Create a value proposition for cloud migration that appeals to both business and IT.
- Develop a grasp of the many use cases for cloud adoption.
- Define a formal cloud strategy that is in line with IT strategic goals.
- Define action actions to attain goals while keeping cloud financial management in mind.
- Create migration decision principles based on application and team readiness, business priorities, application modernization plan, and vendor capabilities.
- Recognize data and metrics for usage and capability.
Engage with an analyst to discuss the key points around cloud implementation in the organization.
Develop an action plan
Select the right cloud partner and successfully negotiate contracts:
- Develop enterprise-wide cloud expertise.
- Examine several service providers (AWS, Google, Microsoft, etc.)
- Create safeguards against cloud-specific threats.
- Determine the viability of investments in networking, security, and identity architectures, as well as technologies.
Discuss the right kind of funding needed to deliver on cloud migration in the organization with our cloud specialists here.
Prepare for Implementation
Deploy and optimize workload placement:
- Workloads should be identified and segmented for relocation.
- Create a procedure for cloud management.
- Implementation best practices should be followed, as well as workload placement analysis.
Kick start your cloud migration plan by consulting our cloud specialists who will help educate, clarify misconceptions, and share best practices across your enterprise.
Establish governance and risk mitigation
Reduce workflow interruptions and develop solid processes:
- Make sensitive data discovery, monitoring, and analytics a top priority.
- Using third-party technologies, create a security control plane.
- Create a cloud governance life cycle methodology.
- Automate the process of immediately embedding governance adherence feedback into workflows.
Engage our cloud specialists for cloud technology selection and contract/pricing negotiations here.
Optimize and scale
Evaluate and evolve your cloud strategy:
- Make investments in current cloud plans and implementation a top priority.
- Create shared goals for cross-functional teams that emphasize customer centricity.
- Iterate to improve and evolve your cloud footprint.
Discuss the value delivered following the cloud migration strategy's adoption and convey the impact to stakeholders.
2. Who Needs to Be Involved?
For cloud migration projects, the most successful businesses form cross-functional teams. To guarantee success in meeting the milestones, we've identified the suggested functions to include and described their duties:
Chief Information Officer (CIO)
The CIO provides executive leadership and direction for strategy and planning, including establishing the cloud migration mission and conveying progress to stakeholders.
Application Leader and Team
Contributes ideas and aids in the creation of vision. Collaborates with other IT executives to integrate information across platforms and provide updates on progress vs. plan for cloud migration strategy.
Infrastructure & Operations Leader and Team
Shares and contributes insights towards I&O competencies. Aids in the direction of planning effort for I&O adjustments necessary to satisfy strategy. Manages the infrastructure and IT operational procedures installation process to facilitate migration.
Creates cloud migration project architecture and process blueprints. Evaluates and chooses best-fit tools and techniques for moving, restructuring, or recreating cloud applications and data infrastructure. Learns new talents as required.
Our Cloud Managed Services and DevOps teams have helped enterprises build and sustain a secure cloud architecture through recommending best practices for architecture designs, choosing the ideal technologies and tools needed for long-term digital transformation initiatives, and building a standardized cloud policy for migration.
We can help kickstart your business' cloud migration today by scheduling a consultation with our cloud specialists today: